Who am I?
I am David Pottrell, a web design and developer working in the South West, England.
I am affected by GDPR in three areas
- How I collect and use data collected via my website (davidpottrell.co.uk).
- How I manage data and information collected whilst working with a client in my role as a data controller.
- How I manage data as a result of being a data processor for many of my clients.
How I collect your data
When you visit my websites or use my services, I collect personal data. The ways I collect it can be broadly categorised into the following:
Information you provide to me directly: When you visit or use some parts of my websites and/or services I might ask you to provide personal data. For example, I ask for your contact information when you sign up for a free trial, respond to a job application or an email offer, participate in community forums, join me on social media, take part in training and events, contact me with questions or request support. If you don’t want to provide me with personal data, you don’t have to, but it might mean you can’t use some parts of my websites or services.
Information I collect automatically: I collect some information about you automatically when you visit my websites or use my services, like your IP address and device type. I also collect information when you navigate through my websites and services, including what pages you looked at and what links you clicked on. This information is useful for me as it helps me get a better understanding of how you’re using my websites and services so that I can continue to provide the best experience possible (e.g., by personalising the content you see).
Some of this information is collected using cookies and similar tracking technologies. If you want to find out more about the types of cookies I use, why, and how you can control them, take a look at my cookie notice.
How I can share your data
There will be times when I need to share your personal data with third parties. I will only disclose your personal data to:
- third party service providers and partners who assist and enable me to use the personal data to, for example, support delivery of or provide functionality on the website or services, or to market or promote my goods and services to you.
- regulators, law enforcement bodies, government agencies, courts or other third parties where I think it’s necessary to comply with applicable laws or regulations, or to exercise, establish or defend my legal rights. Where possible and appropriate, I will notify you of this type of disclosure
- an actual or potential buyer (and its agents and advisers) in connection with an actual or proposed purchase, merger or acquisition of any part of my business
- other people where I have your consent.
The length of time I keep your personal data depends on what it is and whether I have an ongoing business need to retain it (for example, to provide you with a service you’ve requested or to comply with applicable website requirements).
I’ll retain your personal data for as long as I have a relationship with you and for a period of time afterwards where I have an ongoing business need to retain it, in accordance with my data retention policies and practices. Following that period, I’ll make sure it’s deleted or anonymised.
Links to other websites
Access to your personal information
You have the right to request a copy of your data or to request me to delete any data that relates to you. If you would like to do so please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org – Please note that requests may take up to 30 days to process and I will require proof of identification prior to acting upon the request.
Changes to this privacy notice
This policy was last updated in April 2018.